Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Post Doctor Visit

Went to the doctor today, but before I tell you about today, let me back up to Saturday.
Saturday, I went to my first "Band Wagon Support Group". The Malley Surgical Clinic has a support group for people that have been banded or want to be banded. It is held once a month and is free to all. I know that a support system is a very important part of succeeding in my weight loss journey. The support group was really good. There were 25-30 people there of all ages and sizes. There were 3 of us that had just been banded but the rest were 5-12 months out from their surgery. Some had lost lots of weight and other only 20-30 lbs. It was just an open group for all kinds of questions and the people there would tell how they coped with the surgery and the problems they had or problems that I might have. The support group is something that I will try and go to every month. There is also a nutrition class once a month and I am going to try and go to that also.
My diet at this point of my recovery is full liquid and I can also have any food that I can puree in a blender and eat. The important thing at this point is that the food I eat does not require me to chew very much if at all. The food is to be liquid enough to slip through the band and into my lower stomach so that the food does not irritate the band. I am eating soups, mashed potatoes and gravy and any food that slides down. Tonight I made Frito Chili Pies for my family and I put my chips and my chili in the blender and pureed it and it was very good.
I started back to work on Monday and I worked all day. I was very tired at the end of the day when I picked up Chris from school but it was a good tired. After I got home from work when John got home we walked for about an hour. It was a little cold but we had on our coats and it was not bad.
Today my sister, Vicky, came to see me. She lives in Oklahoma City and we see each other as much as we can. She was on vacation last week when I had my surgery so she thought she needed to come up and check on me. It is really nice to see her and spend time with her.
I took Chris to school this morning and than I had my first post-op doctor appointment. I went in and weighted and an their scales I weighed 247.5, on my scales this morning I weighted 243. The nurse took my staples out of my incisions, and they looked good. They were a little red where the staples were but they were healing. I have the 5 incisions and altogether I had about 20 staples. I had never had staples before but they did not hurt when they were coming out.
The doctor came in and looked me over and said I was doing well and to come back in 4 weeks. Until than I have to stay on the puree diet for everything to heal. The doctor stay a little bit and answered my questions that I had and than he was off. I think he is a good doctor but he is all business. I will go back the 9th of November for my first fill. Can't weight to have it done so I can eat solid food.
I am feeling food, going to try to increase my protein intake and also my walking to continue to lose weight. The doctor said that right now I can eat mashed potatoes but after I have my first fill, they will be off limits. For about 3-4 months I will be learning how to work with my band to lose weight. I know I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment